Shabbat Shalom

On Friday, this is how the Jewish congregation I work for greet and farewell each other. On other days it is Shalom, peace.

Shalom was the first "oh wow" moment for me working at the synagogue. 

Imagine beginning each conversation with peace and ending it with peace. It's like a subtle mood adjuster. How after declaring peace can you then be at odds?

This is such a beautiful and meaningful thing to say. Shalom. Peace.

Peace be with you is what we say to each other in the middle of our Christian services.

What an awesome wish for another. It's not just an olde fashioned greeting but an attitude, one we should not say to remember the good old days but to truly wish for each other now.

Peace. Peace be with you. Shalom.

Given that Christians were once Jewish, there has to be some sort of connection there but I don't know what it is. (Will research and get back to you.)

I answer the phones at work with "Shalom". I am thinking of doing the same at home and maybe even starting conversations with it. So long as I don't forget that I'm at home and say the rest of what is already rote when I answer the phone at work!

If you're Jewish, what does the word Shalom mean to you? If you're Christian, what does the phrase "Peace be with you" mean to you?

Comments

  1. Truthfully, I haven't given enough thought to the phrase "peace be with you."

    I think you've just given me an idea for a blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create Party!