Showing gratitude #2

You can find an index of all the 31 Days of Encountering Judaism here.

In Judaism, being grateful to God, giving thanks to God, is blessing God.

Each blessing in Judaism begins: Blessed are You Lord our God, Ruler of the Universe ...
Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu Melech Haolam...
There are a lot of prayers in the Reform service that begins this way. (Beth Israel is Reformed Judaism in case I hadn't mentioned that before). These words are used in the blessing before and after the Torah reading, for example.

The words have been running through my head almost as much as the Sh'ma has been.

So when it came time after choir practice at my church to say prayers in the round, I began it with "Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu Melech Haolam..." translated it for them, and then gave thanks.

I had been thinking about starting my prayer that way, but was still debating whether or not to do it when the words just popped out of my mouth!

Nobody said anything after our prayers were all done, so I guess they are already used to me working for a synagogue, or they're just used to me. After all, earlier this year, I did give thanks that all my snot was gone (using that word exactly!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party!