Lenten Study Choices

What to study this Lent? I have a plethora of choices, only one of which is actually already in my possession.

Here's my Top 5 list:
cover from Paula's website
  1. "Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness" by Nan C. Merrill
  2. "Simplifying the Soul: Lenten Practices to Renew the Spirit" by Paula Huston
  3. "Windows into the Light: A Lenten Journey of Stories and Art" by Michael Sullivan
  4. "Windows into the Soul: Art as Spiritual Expression" by Michael Sullivan (the first book)
  5. "What Women Tell Me: Finding Freedom from the Secrets We Keep" by Anita Lustrea
And if you're keeping track, that's two Catholic authors (am guessing Nan was), two books by an Episcopal priest and one non-denom author.

I am taking Nan's Psalms book with me on retreat, so I'm thinking Paula Huston might be the book of choice, mainly because her other works look really interesting too, and this might be a nice introduction to her style.

(cover from Church
Publishing website
)
On the other hand, I can see using the two "art as prayer" books (starting with #3) and continuing through Easter and after Pentecost by following up with his first book (#4)  and then Christine Valter Paintner's "the Artist's Rule: nurturing your creative soul with monastic wisdom: a twelve-week journey" but maybe that should wait until after I finish Suzi Blu's art journal class. But on the other hand I've noticed a lot of "light" references lately, so maybe....


I want to do Nan's book and maybe option #5 ("What Women Tell Me") in a small group, not by myself over Lent. 


If I can gather one: here online or in person in my community.

What do you think? Which one should I read and study for Lent?


(And I should note, I am not being paid to mention or review any of the books above. Just trying to figure out which one to read!)

Comments

  1. I am thinking Paula Houston because now I think I would like to read that through Lent now, Thanks for sharing this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, you're welcome! I'm leaning toward the Pam Houston too. Wanna check in with each other as we read?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create Party!