Summer reading list (well, maybe)

Happy Shavuot!

Rachel Held Evans recently posted a list of summer reading, which was a bit like last year's actually -- but given that I have books on my to-read list including a couple that I bought based on her list last year, I shouldn't be surprised.

Oh, and yes, Rachel, I was one of those people who had that competitive streak to read the most: especially when it was the MS Read-a-thon. (Am I remembering that right?)

Anyway, these I haven't read (except the first which I've almost finished reading), so these are not recommendations, just what's on my list to read this summer.


2 works of fiction (of course, I have a whole other pile for that!) and the rest non-fiction...
  • Rosalind Franklin: Dark Lady of DNA by Brenda Maddox (so far a good read!)
  • Watermark by Joseph Brodsky
  • The First Paul by Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan
  • The Regency Detective by David Lassman and Terence James (am hoping this is fiction!)
  • Found by Micha Boyett
  • The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing
  • 8 Habits of Love: Open Your Heart, Open Your Mind by Ed Bacon (who is rector at a church in Pasadena, I think)
  • The Story of Christianity, Volume 1 by Justo L. Gonzalez (one of RHE's recommendations from last year)
  • Everyday Holiness: The Path of Mussar by Ala Morinis
  • and the very next book I'm going to read once I'm done with the biography on Rosalind Franklin, The Resurrection of the Son of God by N.T. Wright, which I bought because I read his Simply Jesus (written as Tom Wright, that's how you know it's written for a layperson) because I think he skimmed on this -- also a fair chance that he hadn't written this volume when he wrote that.
I also have some fiction in another stack: Elizabeth Bear (fantasy author who is so amazing I buy her stuff in hardback) and Scott Lynch's newest Locke Lamora (fantasy, also bought in hardback) and others of that ilk.

What are you reading?

(Apologies for not linking to books, while I did buy practically all of these at Amazon, you may have your own favorite spot to buy them and if you go to a theological independent bookstore, I'd love to hear about it.)

Comments

  1. Wait!!! You left off the one I recommend and it is a MUST READ. I promise!!! That's "Iscariot: A Novel of Judas" by Tosca Lee. Trust me, it's a great read.

    Lory

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create Party!