A Moment of Morning Sabbath

Every time I come back from Mt. Calvary, I want to keep that moment of morning Sabbath going.

Here's how it happens at Mt. Calvary:

6:00 a.m.  Mission bells toll the Angelus: three times three rings, followed by an almighty clanging. I wake, usually during the first group of three, mentally mumble the Angelus response, which is all I can remember of it ("Hail Mary, full of grace, blessed art thou amongst women and blessed be the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."), each of the three times and roll over and go back to sleep.

6:30 a.m. The usual time I get up at home. I listen to see if the shared bathroom is in use, plan getting up. Eventually do, and then go shower, and dress. (The Great Silence is still in effect. No talking until after breakfast.)

7:00 a.m. Downstairs, having made a mug of tea (Earl Grey) and am sitting outside on this:


looking at this:


7:30 a.m. Mt. Calvary's bell calls me to Lauds (morning prayer), with breakfast following.

Here's how it happens at home (often):

6:30 a.m. or thereabouts, the alarm goes off. I let my hubby get up first, then I rise, shower and dress.

7:00 a.m. or thereabouts, dog has already been fed, and I get myself a drink of something (tea, orange juice, iced chai) ... and do a mental battle as to whether I'll go upstairs and check my email/Facebook, etc or sit and watch the morning.

7:05 a.m. Most of the time, sitting wins. So I sit, dog at my side, who is happy being scritched, and watch the patch of sky between the back door and the patio cover. Because if I look at the patio or the garden, I see all that needs to get done and I get anxious. So patch of sky it is. And I stay there for about half an hour or so, then I might eat something, or go do further meditation (yin yoga or scripture reading) before eventually heading out to work.

So far so good this time, but I would like a better view to enjoy!

Comments

  1. That view is breathtaking!! Sounds like you had a refreshing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I looked up the website and am dying to go! It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is -- the Order has a house on the Hudson River as well that is beautiful to look at for hours too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create Party!