Week 37 of 52: Winter Hat

This one had quite the journey, starting out as a two page spread and then whited out (using gesso) down to a single page. I didn't use a reference photo for this one, as you can probably tell. Here's the sketch:


I had just bought some Arteza acrylic paints. 60 small tubes in lots of lovely colors. However, I did struggle a bit with them. The first was that the paper seemed to soak up the paint such that it seemed I used more than I would with the Goldens or Atelier Interactives. A lot of the paint was transparent or translucent, which is great for glazing, but made for one hell of an ugly stage.


But with more paint, I finally achieved the look I wanted for her face, and so headed to other parts of the painting, aiming to use up all the leftover paint in the palette in the process.


I switched to using a mix of Faber Castell Pitt Pens, a gold paint pen, white gel pen and white Posca pen for the finer details, outlining some of the design with an XS Faber Castell Pitt Pen in black. And here she is. Why she is wearing a winter hat with a tank top, I could not tell you. I also actually liked the way one eye droops a little more than the other, seems mysterious or mystical to me. What do you think?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party!