Giving up single-use plastic for Lent

I haven't posted here since finishing the 52 Portraits in 52 Weeks challenge. I don't know what this space is going to be but here it is, Lent, and I wanted to post about what I am giving up this Lent.

Single-use plastic.

It's amazing how much plastic we use. I am starting with cutting out single-use plastic because I am not quite ready to give up reusable plastic just yet. Metro.co.uk even has an article about giving up plastic for Lent.


I started a while ago with refusing straws or bringing my own reusable straws (which is made of silicone, which, yes, is plastic but it is reusable). But Lent is as good a time as any to dive in deep. I've bought stasher bags -- also made of silicone but they have a recycling program for those bags that have reached end of life.

I've also bought beeswax wraps to replace cling wrap but a set of three may not be quite enough. Considering buying another set as back up!


What I think this exercise will do is show how much single-use plastic I use without even thinking about it.

For example, today alone, I've already racked up:
  • cling wrap that was already wrapped around a cut cucumber (but I rewrapped it, so that -- nah, it still counts -- however I used it before Lent started, so yeah, it doesn't count)
  • emptied a Lay's chips bag (jalapeno flavored in case you're wondering) bought last weekend. Plastic.
  • had hot chocolate this afternoon at work -- and as I threw the packet into the trash I realized that it was plastic-lined. OMG. I have a feeling I'll be making turmeric lattes or decaf tea for that afternoon warm drink for the next 40 days.
  • the plastic film on my Freshly meal. Guess this one is going to be one I'll be stuck with for the duration.
May be part of this observance of this particular fast (or almost fast) will be how I can advocate for alternatives with the companies/foods that I currently have no alternative but to useI have a horrible feeling this is going to end up a long, long list. I will treat you to it after Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party!