Tuesday, January 31, 2012

All Who Are Thirsty...

The lyrics of one of my favorite praise songs goes:
All who are thirsty, all who are weak, come to the fountain...
And when I've sung this in church as part of the choir, it's felt like a call to me. That I am calling others to bring their thirst to be quenched in the fountain of Living Water that is God. (OK, let me unpack that churchy phrase: water is an essential to life,"Living Water" is the water of baptism, the Holy Spirit, the Presence of God.)


Here's a version of it on YouTube (it is longer than usual):




The song came to mind again recently (actually, while I was on my blogging sabbatical!)...



Why did I think this didn't apply to me? Why only an invitation to others? Why did I think only one mountaintop experience to be sufficient, enough to remember He is with me?
All who are thirsty, all who are weak, come to the fountain...

Am I not thirsty?

Am I not weak? (and if the latest attempts at diet are anything to go by ... The answer is definitely yes I am still weak)
Let the pain and the sorrow
Be washed away
Have I not pain? 

The pain -- I've learned to manage when obsessive worry takes me over. And I mostly succeed. But sometimes I still need to call on Him.


Am I not sorrowed?

The sadness of losing my last grandparent is still with me. The sadness of losing a father-in-law just over 2 years ago is still with me.

Am I not still broken? Do I not still break? Do my words and actions not break others?
Come, Lord Jesus, come...

3 comments:

Pam @ Frippery said...

Lovely post. We all struggle together. Thanks for sharing this Leanne.

Leanne said...

Thanks, Pam. And it just struck me that I left this post kinda unfinished. Why that waited to reveal itself after it went live, I don't know. :)

Sarah@SpeakingofTruth said...

Leanne, saw your comment at Make Me a Mary and thought I'd come over here to check out your lovely blog and say hi. So priveleged to meet you--thanks for being an encourager and comarade in this Christian life we live!