ANZAC Day

Today, April 25th, is Anzac Day in Australia. As we're on the other side of the dateline, it's now the 26th there. But it's still the 25th here.

ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corp and we remember the fallen on the day of the retreat from Gallipoli in Turkey during the First World War. Dawn services, beer for those who want it and veterans march down the main street.

I was going to take a picture of my ANZAC biscuits (translation: cookies), but as usual, they did not turn out. This supposedly easy recipe continues to defeat me. I mean, they're basically oatmeal cookies.

So, instead of a pretty photo, I have a poem.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

- Laurence Binyon

Lest we Forget.

Comments

  1. Oh, goodness,,what is it about cookies that don't turn out,,I just made oatmeal cookies, the first ones were flat and hard,,,then I added more flour and that did the trick.
    Well, I must say I have never heard of this war, but brave young soldiers are in my prayers these days...We must tell the children of the old wars, and why they are fought and celebrated.
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party!