7 Quick Takes (returning)

So it's been a while since I've done the 7 Quick Takes, which are quite unlike the seven deadly sins but somehow there seems to be a lot of confessional stuff in the Takes that I read. Hmm.

Anyway, here we go:


7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!

1.



For some reason this week, I've kept thinking its the 18th of March (3 days in a row) and that it's the 4th week of Lent. I feel ready for Holy Week next week ... Almost.

2.

I've been enjoying volunteering for the United Campus Ministry -- we hand out free cookies and the volunteers get to eat the broken ones. What's not to love?

I hope to get more reflective (less shallow) about this ministry later.

3. 

The Les Miz DVD is out today. What a wonderful film that was. Although perhaps they should release a highlights reel, which for me was every moment Ann Hathaway was on the screen, and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables".

4. 

By the way, you don't want to know how many times I've seen Les Miz the play ... I was a huge fan in college and probably could still sing most of it.

5.

We've a new sound system at church, so  I'm looking forward to how that's gonna sound when my Episcopal church and the UCSD Newman Center Catholic Community get together this year. Hopefully, we will not literally blow them away. We're singing Mozart, a modern classical piece, gospel, contemporary Catholic Christian (for the psalm), and I hope L. is going to sing that lovely gospel piece again as she walks behind the cross processed around the sanctuary. Has to be one of my favorite moments.

6.

In case you're wondering, we two churches become one on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and for an Advent concert. If I remember right -- because I was at Disneyland on Ash Wednesday and so missed that service. (Yes, I know.) The Ash Wednesday service is a liturgical mix (it's pretty similar in both traditions), Good Friday is more Catholic (for some reason I remember our Episcopal services being really short, but when you have a church full of people instead of the about 30 who show up for the Episcopal service, I guess it would take longer), and our Advent Choral Celebration is based on the Episcopal Lessons and Carols. 

And yeah, I love it when we come together. And not just because our choir becomes massive in size and sound.

7.

I am reading an amazing book. Maggie Anton's Rav Hisda's Daughter (I am not being compensated in any way for this review. I bought the book 'cause it looked interesting). She has Diana Gabaldon's incredible detail (I now know how to make date beer), but the setting is rabbinic Jewish life in Babylonia, circa 200AD-ish. And no Jamie. But it doesn't matter 'cause Hisdadukh is a really interesting character although I find I forget how young she is. I was up after midnight reading it last night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Bloggers Create Party II: My Room 2010 (with lots of pictures)

Where Bloggers Create 2015

Where Bloggers Create Party!